Monday, August 10, 2009

All Grown Up!

Well...today was the big day. After hours of training, group discussions, and getting to know one another, 14 of us stood before Judge Montemayor and were officially sworn in as Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA). It was one of those moments. Surreal, yet humbling.

Everyone has that moment in their life when their place in adulthood is solidified. After that moment in their life there's no going back to being an adolescent (that is until they have a mid-life crisis...). The CASA swearing in was that moment for me. I am no longer a kid playing on the playground chasing boys. I am no longer an adolescent trying to find my place in the world. I am no longer a young adult navigating through life unsure of where to land. I am an adult. An adult taking on the responsibility of making sure a child or baby's best interest is met. It's a scary thing to know someone's future and family could come down to the recommendations I make in the child or children's best interest. On the flip side, it's extremely rewarding and gratifying to know that I will be making an impact on someone's life, making sure the system doesn't fail them. I will be making an impact in my community/someone's life and at the end of the day that's all that really matters. This experience will be like no other and I'm looking forward to every minute to every hour of it!


On a side note, my sister and my mom were both present to witness my swearing in ceremony. I may have been a little cranky and anxious beforehand, but it wouldn't have been the same had they not been there. I don't say it very often, but I truly have been blessed with a great, supportive family. I do wish my grandma (Grammy) had been there. She would've loved it and been so proud of me! I trust that she was up in Heaven watching over me smiling upon all of us. I still miss her everyday as if just yesterday was her last. It's been six years and I don't think the hurt as disappeared. I'm hoping this new volunteer experience will help me move on with my life and cause some of the hurt I feel in my heart over her loss to dissipate. I will be sure to make her and my whole family proud!


...Let the games begin!



P.S. The following poem sums up best what this experience will be all about for me in the coming year...

The Advocate
This is not about
Rescue, so as to feel good
When the child lights up with a smile.
This is not about
the comfort of compassion.
This is hard work,
Struggling with ripped families
And children in clouds of pain,
anger dancing round in their hearts
in the turmoil of a world
made crazy. This is caring,
yes, but also what is just,
what should be demanded.
It takes love
And a certain measure of courage.
And in the simple act
Of person helping person,
It becomes extraordinary.
—Mercedes Lawry

No comments:

Post a Comment