It might sound a little crazy, but I've been thinking about making this post for a couple weeks or so, but just never quite got around to it until now.
First, before you ask...School is okay. I've never loved school and certainly am not about to start, but school is important so I'm not quitting anytime soon. I just wish it wasn't so necessary! I still haven't made up my mind as to whether I'm going to go to law school or not. I may end up just getting an undergrad degree in Criminal Justice and working as a Court Reporter or something to that extent. Who knows! I still love law, but I'm hating school and I've been in college for what seems like forever! (The only class I'm iffy about this semester is College Algebra and only because I don't have the attention span for it. I don't suck at it, but I hate it and want nothing to do with it!)
Moving along...I've realized Facebook is more than just a big time waster! Don't get me wrong, I love that I can waste so much time playing apps, but doing more than just that is always good. Having been through my share of crap, I'm not the most social butterfly on the planet. Making new friends is not my strong point, nor is keeping old ones. Having trust issues doesn't exactly help, but words come easier for me when typed instead of spoken. Maybe it has something to do with being legally deaf, or maybe it doesn't, I don't really know. Thanks to Facebook, though, it's easier to reconnect with people who you've fallen out of contact with. A couple years ago, I fell out of contact with a guy I graduated high school with, but as of recently have gotten back into contact. Of course, we're not the same people we were in high school. We've both changed and been through our share of stuff, but a friend is a friend.
I'm not going to name names, but he knows who he is and I'm so glad we've gotten back in contact. He was there for me when only one other friend was. It's easy for some people to assume a person wants attention when they're about to hit rock bottom, but speaking from experience, attention is one of the last things you want. Above all else, you want HELP. He was one of the few who saw that. I'm not sure how I would have made it to where I am today if I hadn't had a friend like him at the time I was having trouble getting through each day. I'm not even sure how I would've survived my senior year of high school had we not been friends. Trust me, I was the most hated person in our class and a lot of my classmates made sure I knew it. (Fitting in was never really my thing. I march to the beat of my own drummer and do what I feel is best. It may not be the cool thing, but it's right thing. What's right isn't always what's cool.)
On a less serious note, my best friends and dogs, Cookie and Ty have been working on showing off their tricks. As a 13-year-old, 5lb dog, Cookie only has two tricks: sit and spot. I've been trying to get her to learn others, but being the Princess she is, and having never gone to obedience school, Cookie likes to stick to her two tricks. After all, she only learned them because she kept getting jealous of watching Ty learn new tricks! Ty, has learned quite a few tricks, but while most came from training classes, one came from my mother. What is it exactly? The high-five! I took a break from doing homework one night a couple weeks ago to play with the dogs and decided to bring my camera phone along for the ride. Enjoy the pictures of Cookie and Ty doing what they do best, being adorable!
Cookie, after doing spot and sit, posing for the camera! (Yes, she's really 13! She's a momma's girl! Can you tell?!)
Ty, high-fiving my mom!
P.S. It Breast Cancer Awareness Month, so to honor it, I made a "Feel Your Boobies" icon on boobicon.me! It's not the greatest ever, but I don't tend to do very well and making posters/icons/avatars of myself. So, I tried my best! Here's the end result:
One last thing...I would make a whole blog just about what I'm going to say, but I kinda stink at putting it into a good form of words. If you don't follow, don't worry...I follow Marlee Matlin, a well-known deaf actress, on Twitter and hadn't heard about this until she Tweeted it. Basically, you can stream or rent the movie "Wizard of Oz" from Netflix, but it is not provided in closed captioning. Here's what the NAD (National Association of the Deaf) said, "On September 9, 2009, the National Association of the Deaf requested that Netflix provide a captioned version of “The Wizard of Oz” movie that Netflix made available online, for free, for everyone on October 3, 2009. Netflix disregarded the NAD request along with thousands of letters, emails, comments, and tweets urging Netflix to caption the movie. Today, the NAD expressed its dismay at the lack of any response from Netflix and its failure to make this 70th anniversary celebration of “The Wizard of Oz” accessible to 36 million deaf and hard of hearing viewers." I'm not personally boycotting Netflix because my parents have a membership and I happen to love having a membership...BUT, that being said, I do think "Wizard of Oz" needs to be provided through Netflix WITH closed captioning provided. It really isn't rocket science.













No comments:
Post a Comment