Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while you could miss it. ~Ferris Bueller's Day Off
This is (almost) it. It's two weeks into my last semester of undergrad. It'll be May before I know it. I'll be saying my tearful goodbyes to my best friends as if I'll never see them again, even though I most certainly will.
I've been in college SEVEN years. Yes, I said seven. I've never been the type of person who's in a hurry, so it's only fitting that it's taken me seven years to get my Bachelor's Degree. Hell, I did 5th grade twice. I wasn't in any hurry to get to middle school. College has been no different for me. I was never in a hurry to leave, but whether I like it or not, come May my college career is over. I remember being asked in 4th grade who was planning on going to college. I refused to raise my hand and say I was because in my mind I was not. Ever. At least, I certainly had hoped not.
I've hated school since I can remember. It's not always come easy to me and I've found myself bored out of my mind plenty of times by assignments that were given. I never quite understood the need for homework and projects. In fact, I still don't understand the need for homework and projects. For me, school was just a place I had to be because my parents told me so. I've always used it as a platform to be my silly self and to just make friends. Grades have never been an important part because as I've learned, it doesn't matter if you make all A's. Making all A's doesn't make you SMART. It also doesn't make you a good citizen of life. It simply means you know how to study. I could make all F's and it wouldn't make me stupid. It's a letter. It's a grade. It doesn't define who you are as a person. I've learned more through life experiences than I've ever learned in a classroom, but being in classrooms has helped me meet and love some pretty amazing people. That, is what matters.
The one thing I've loved about college is the people I've gotten to meet. Two of which are my absolute best friends in the world, Tyler Hester and Kyle Moses. They are better people than I will ever be. They have made me a better person just by loving me for me. They are the reason I love UC (despite all of the reasons I hate it). They have made this place feel like home. When I'm back at home in Texas, I find myself missing the crap out of them and itching to get back just so I can be back with them. It wasn't until I met them that I understood why college is important. Some would say studying makes you smarter. I would say, getting to know others, finding a few to love, and hearing their stories are what make you smarter.
As I look to May, I will treasure my time with them and a few other of my closest friends. Knowing that I will keep in touch with Kyle and Tyler no matter where I end up after I leave this place, gives me peace. I will see them after May. I will keep in touch with them for the remainder of my life. No. Matter. What. Without them, college just wouldn't have been the same. It's been a fun SEVEN years, but I am not looking to extend that any further. Seven is enough.
So, May, come slowly. Although, I know you won't. I may hate school, but I LOVE the crap out of the people in my life. For that, I am forever thankful. College or no college, I am loved by people I love the most. That is what makes this long journey worth it.












No comments:
Post a Comment