This is it. Year 25 of life is coming to a close. As of tomorrow, I will be 26 and FOUR years away from 30. How scary is that?! Every year before I turn a year older I take a look back and reflect on the year of life that was. Let's take a look back at year 25 and the lessons learned. Shall we? We shall.
Last year around this time I was adjusting to the idea of celebrating the first birthday I've ever had away from home. Being away from home on your birthday is never ideal, but you make the best of it and I don't regret moving out here to Kentucky for a second. It's taught me a lot about myself, I've found true happiness, and the best friends a girl could ever ask for. Without having moved to Kentucky, these things would've never been possible. This year as I wait for my birthday to hit, I am avoiding homework by writing this, getting ready to GRADUATE college (scary isn't it?), and enjoying life for what it is. Things don't always go the way you see them going, but after 25 years I've learned that's perfectly okay (for the most part... I am still a control freak).
This past year I realized there are some people who are forever in life and some who just aren't meant to be no matter how much you work at making things stay the same. I moved away from San Antonio and lost friends over time, but being in the same place as a friend and watching the friendship dissolve just down right sucks. It has been a year of stress and struggles. School has been beating me down (I'm currently in danger of not passing a class needed to graduate), relationships with people around me have changed dramatically, and there for quite awhile earlier this semester I was insanely sick with bronchitis and tonsillitis. So sick, it kept me from performing fully in King Lear the last week of performances.
I will say the thing that seems to always stink about my birthday it is preceded by a week of horror. April 20th (today) marks the anniversary of Columbine. I remember watching it on TV as a child and wondering how it would affect my birthday. It hasn't really, but it's forever a solemn day for everyone. Earlier this week on the 15th, bombings took place at the Boston Marathon. On the 17th of this week, there was a fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas. On the 18th, a police officer on the Boston MIT campus was shot and killed by the bombing suspects from the Boston Marathon bombings. Bad things always seem to happen the week before my birthday hits. I'm never quite sure how to feel about all of it, but bad things happen. Life and celebrations of life have to go on. No. Matter. What.
Life goes on and we keep getting older. I will be keeping the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings in my heart along with the police officer's family and the entire population of West, Texas. Once a Texan, always a Texan. Columbine is forever engraved on my heart and on this day I remember those who were lost in the terrible tragedy that occurred. The world has a tendency to be a dark place at times, but the good always outweighs the bad and evil.
Goodbye, 25. Year 26, I'm coming for you!












No comments:
Post a Comment