Friday, December 13, 2013

Defense!

Here's the thing. I have gone to great lengths to protect myself, my identity, and my privacy on the internet. If you search, "Olivia Stephens" or "Olivia Stephens (insert page here)", the only result that is ME will be my LinkedIn profile (which you can't view without an account). I'm very tech savvy. I know how to protect myself on the web. The only way you can find this blog is if you have an account on Blogger, have stumbled upon it by accident (via Blogger), or through being friends with me on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram (when I post links to posts). The only way you can find my Twitter, Instagram, or FB is through those actual sites. All accounts are locked down.

I feel it is time I defend this blog's existence and explain why it's not going anywhere.

First off, I'm unemployed. This blog is a fair representation of the person I am, the things I've gone through, and what has made me the person I am today. If employers read this, they'll see I love writing, I'm funny, full of life, and have been through my share of shit. It shouldn't make me unemployable. I'm writing my way through life. I'm not getting drunk, partying every night of the week, and running around flashing my boobs. I'm simply telling my story from my point of view.

Secondly, I'm 26. I wrote my first blog at 14 (yeah, you read correctly). Writing is how I cope. It's what I do. It's what I've always done. I'm not sure when I first learned to write, but I can promise you I've been writing ever since. At the end of the day, I'm an adult. I monitor and censor MYSELF. No one else does that for me. My parents are not readers of this blog, nor do I want them to be. They hate when I use cuss words and I'm sure they'd find things to roll their eyes at me over. This is my life, my view. I don't want someone telling me what I can and cannot say. I have common sense. I'm not going to break any contracts, laws, or personal relationships in writing.

Finally, we all have a story to tell. Some people choose not to tell theirs. I'm not that girl. I have a story and I'm going to tell it the best way I know how. Writing is my talent. I'm pretty damn good at it and it keeps me going. I may hate reading, but writing is my thing! I have faith that even if an employer jumps through major hoops to find this blog, they will still find me employable (if not more so) after reading these entries. I am who I am. I make no apologies for it. I'm not author material and I'm not the best writer on the planet, but I am a writer. This blog is my story. As long as I'm alive, I'm going to keep it going. The story doesn't stop just because a few people want it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment